Fresh fruit toast is a simple and satisfying way to jazz up your everyday breakfast. It is super easy to make and you can use whatever fruits you have on hand. This is one of my favorite summer breakfasts along with avocado toast and chia pudding.
Simply spread some ricotta over toasted bread, top it with some berry compote, followed by slices of your favorite fruit and finish it off with a drizzle of honey and some nuts. Easy and delicious way to start your day!!
Enjoy this refreshingly simple fruit toast for breakfast or as an appetizer!
Yeilds: 1 serving
- 2 slices of Bread (any bread of your choice, I prefer sourdough bread or multigrain)
- 1/3 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Blueberries or blackberries or mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup or Sugar (adjust the sweetness per your liking)
- 1 Peach, sliced (any stone fruit of your choice)
- 1 Apricot, sliced (any stone fruit of your choice)
- Sunflower seeds or sesame seeds or Hemp seeds toasted, optional
- Pecans or Walnuts toasted and chopped
- Shredded Coconut
- In a small pot add berries, lemon juice and maple syrup, simmer it on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Halfway through the cooking using a spatula mash the berries just a little. The berries compote should not be too runny, if you find it is runny just cook it for few more minutes.
- In a bowl or blender add ricotta cheese, lemon zest & honey, whip it together until well combined.
- Spread a little butter on the bread and toast them until golden on a griddle/pan.
- Slice peaches and apricot and keep them ready.
- Once everything is ready, top the bread with ricotta, fruit compote, peaches, and honey and serve.
- Fruit toast: Spread prepared ricotta mix on each toasted bread slice. Top it with a generous spoonful of berry compote followed by a layer peach or apricot slices. Sprinkle sunflower seeds, nuts, and finally drizzle some honey over it and serve.
- Berry toast: Spread a spoonful of ricotta cheese over toasted bread, followed by berry compote. Top it with nuts and mint or basil leaves and serve.
- Fruits: You can use any stone fruit for this like peach, apricot, nectarine, plums, cherries, whatever is in season.
- Toast: You can make the toast in a pan / grill or a toaster. You can also make it to the crispiness you like.
- Compote: You can make this using single berry or a combination of berries. If you are making just a berry toast I would recommend using a combination of berries.
- Cheese: In case you do not have ricotta cheese you can also use mascarpone cheese or greek yogurt to make these toasts.
- Make ahead: You can prepare the cheese as well as compote ahead of time and refrigerate them in an airtight container till it is ready to use. It will stay good for about a week in a refrigerator.
One Comment Add yours