Red chili garlic chutney, a delicious spicy chutney prepared from dry red chilies and garlic. It is a must-have condiment that enhances the taste and flavor of many Indian street food and chaats. Use this chutney to transform any dull food into delicious spicy food.
Serves: 1 cup
- 20 whole dry Kashmiri chilies
- 8 to 10 cloves of Garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Rocksalt or regular salt
- 1 teaspoon Jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Put dry chilies to a bowl and add boiled water to it. Let it soak for about 30 minutes or until they soften a bit.
- Remove the stems of the chilies and add them to the blender. Add garlic, rock-salt, jeera powder, garam masala, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon water.
- Blend it until a smooth, add little water if needed.
- Use it immediately or store in an airtight glass container.
- Use it in making various chaats like bhelpuri, sev puri, dabeli, ragda pattice, pav pattice.
- Use it as a condiment with samosa, vada pav, kachori, pakoras, kathi roll, wraps, or sandwiches.
- Use it with dosa, idli.
- Chilies: I usually use Kashmiri chilies for this recipe as I like the vibrant red color it imparts to the chutney without making it spicy. You can use different dry chili or combinations of dry chilies per your preference. If using hotter chilies reduce the number of chilies used. You can also deseed the chilies to make it less spicy.
- Store it in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for about a month or two.
- You can freeze it as well however note that it will reduce the spiciness of the chutney.