Corn Sev puri is a non-traditional way of making sev puri chaat. While most Indian chaats demands for a generous drizzle of tamarind and green chutneys, this corn sev puri does not require either. The combination of lime, sugar, and chilies adds tanginess, sweetness, and spiciness that you crave for in regular chaat.
This chaat makes a great finger food for any parties, it is easy to assemble & serve. Most importantly it will not get soggy as all other traditional chaats would, especially when you want to let it sit for a while.
This recipe is perfect for introducing chaat to someone new to chaat and trust me they will love it!
- Corn bhel (made per the recipe)
- Sev puri or papdi chaat puris, used 2- 10oz packs (readily available at an Indian Grocery store, can use any brand available)
- Cilantro/Green onions for garnish
- Make corn bhel per the recipe and keep aside. You need the bhel to be at room temperature when serving it.
- Chop cilantro and keep ready.
- Place some puris on the serving plate.
- Using a medium spoon scoop some bhel and place a small dollop over all the puris.
- Now generously sprinkle sev over each puri.
- Finally, sprinkle chopped cilantro over all the puris and serve.
- You can also sprinkle a handful of pomegranate over the bhel to add a bit of tartness to the taste.
- You can also drizzle some tamarind chutney and spicy cilantro chutney over the bhel. If using it then drizzle the chutneys over the bhel and then sprinkle sev and cilantro over it. But mind you that you will need to finish this version of sev-puri sooner as it will get soggy and you will not be able to keep it for a longer time.
- Chaat refers to the savory snacks that are often eaten at the roadside stalls in India.
- When making corn bhel for this recipe add little more onions and cook them just till light pink.
- Green Chilies– When making corn bhel for sev puri I usually grate frozen green chilies and att it to the bhel. This adds a nice spicy flavor to the bhel and you might need fewer chilies. Discard the seeds as it will make the bhel spicier. If you are using grated chilies then add then after you are done sauteing onions, making sure you are not cooking them.